Development policy goals
Energy security, energy supply reliability and efficiency enhancement, and FEC subsectors sustainable development policy goals are supposed to be attained by:
- carrying out structural changes in energy resources production and consumption, while improving the production pattern and decreasing the share of energy-intensive production processes;
- optimizing fuel and energy balance of the country and monitoring the internal energy market development trends while upholding the diversification principle with regard to internal energy consumption;
- developing and implementing highly efficient processes and technology for production, transport, distribution and consumption of energy resources;
- promoting energy saving and imposing economic sanctions for inefficient consumption of fuel and energy resources;
- wide application of energy resources metering and consumption management systems in all sectors of economy and in the housing and municipal sector;
- creating an energy saving outlook in the society;
- maintaining State strategic reserves of fuel and energy resources at the required level, and adopting the order for their distribution in case of serious disruptions in the customer supply infrastructure;
- consistent reduction of energy inputs based on high technologies;
- developing domestic machine building and instrument engineering, FEC design, construction and mounting systems;
- creating the guarantee system for efficient use of natural resources based on principles of upholding national interests of the country and conservation of resources for future generations.
The main measures aimed at decreasing the country's energy dependence are:
- to enhance domestic production of fuel and energy resources (by increasing their output, decreasing absolute level of imports, making energy consumption efficient and optimal);
- to diversify external sources of energy supply (natural gas, oil, nuclear fuel), ensuring that each type of energy resources come from at least 3 sources, each having a 25-30% share in the total supply;
- to strengthen the strategic position of Ukraine in the international system of energy transportation and to ensure an adequate participation of Ukraine in the world energy markets and in the implementation of energy projects;
- to ensure internal energy independence (to prevent monopoly on the internal energy markets, establish equal competitive operating conditions, create state strategic energy reserves, improve regulatory and legal framework, fulfillment of state control).
Measures relating to enhancement of the level of physical security, durability and survivability of energy facilities and ensuring environmental acceptability of the energy sector are:
- to improve fuel quality and abate detrimental emissions of thermal power plants;
- to address the problems related to spent nuclear fuel and radioactive waste produced at NPPs;
- to adhere to effective rules and regulations in the process of design, construction and operation of FEC facilities; to carry out safety monitoring of the facilities;
- to engage Ukraine into development and introduction of new-generation nuclear reactors with the required internal safety level;
- to increase electricity generation by using renewable energy sources, and state-of-the-art processes and technologies;
- to introduce gradually environmental and economic mechanisms as regards indemnification against environmental damage caused by the energy facilities to the environment;
- to prevent possible environmental disasters in the nuclear power engineering and enhance the nuclear safety level (a package of measures);
- to create conditions and resources for the localization and liquidation of accidents or emergency situations;
- to use maximally domestic scientific and technical potential of the FEC sectors.
To ensure social stability in the energy sector it is necessary:
- to improve reliability and quality of energy supply to population; to enhance actual paying capacity of households and optimize and stabilize energy tariffs for the population;
- to provide legislative and regulatory protection of rights and interests of energy consumers, basis for their joint responsibility with energy suppliers;
- to create and retain working places in the FEC sectors by reforming the employment system;
- to introduce mechanisms encouraging safe working and labor conditions, and increase liability of associations and companies managers for labor protection.